Thursday, March 31, 2016

Yin, Yang, & Yoga


I decided to try my hand (actually my whole body) at Yoga. A good friend of mine suggested that it was a great way to work through life stresses and exercise the muscles. I did a little Googling and discovered that Yoga is often recommended for women over 35, for various reasons. I signed up online for a one week trial at the local Pink Lotus Yoga Center.  Being the overly ambitious, jump right in, type A that I tend to be, I chose a different class every day for the following seven days. Yup. You read that right…SEVEN days: Friday to Friday. They offer a large variety of classes and I wanted to get the most out of my one week trial (and the money I paid for that trial). I dressed in what I thought was appropriate Yoga attire & headed out for my first class. I walked in fifteen minutes early and the experience began. First of all, let me say that the class could not be more appropriately decorated or located. It’s in the Old Mill building, complete with rugged rock walls and gypsy-like décor. I love it.

I signed in and watched all of the seasoned, experienced yogis and followed along like a hesitantly excited puppy. I grabbed my mat roll, two blocks, a blanket and a bolster. I found a comfy spot near the middle, yet close to a window. I sat in what appeared to be the standard Yoga-style sitting. Then, suddenly, I noticed everyone else was barefoot. Ok. I admit, I should’ve known that yoga was a barefoot-princess type sport. I got a little freaked. How many people had walked on these rock floors? How often had they been washed (or NOT washed). I swallowed my anxiety and slowly removed my socks and shoes (gulp).  Oops, I digress…

The class began and it took all of 10 minutes for me to be all in. I followed directions, copied poses, opened my heart and my mind and found the poses to be surprisingly comfortable to perform. I can do this, I thought!  I can’t wait for tomorrow’s class.  The 75-minute class went by in a flash. As a side note, at the close of the session, the instructor says a little mantra about going forward and doing good things, which I found very inspiring.  I attended the next two classes and was equally enthralled with hem.

Three classes down and it’s Monday. Monday’s class is “Gentle Yin.”  I was feeling a bit under the weather from all the pollen that keeps trying to bully my sinuses and considered cancelling. “Oh,” I thought, “it’s the Gentle class, though. It’ll be relaxing.” Beginning to feel much like one of the regular yogis, I found my usual spot, took on the starting position, and got ready. Oh wow, was I in for a treat (insert snarky grin and a little eye-rolling here). 

I vaguely remember the instructor giving this little speech about how this Yin Yoga was a good way to “let go” of the negative things that plague us and that it can be difficult for some people. How was I supposed to know she was talking to me???  The class consists of six spine poses held in “relaxation” positions for seven minutes each with a short stretching session between. The first pose lasted forever. I was pretty darn sure it was way longer than seven minutes. I readjusted. I fixed my bolster pillow. I put a block under my hip. I tightened my pony tail. I scratched my ear. I resituated myself (a few times). Someone across the room was breathing in an almost-snore rhythm. Someone else made a whistle sound each time she exhaled.  The couple next to me had on matching bracelets. I couldn’t concentrate, for God’s sake! There was nothing to concentrate on. By pose three, my inability to relax was quite obvious. The instructor came over (I heard her coming), laid beside me and we had a short whisper-voice conference. “It’s really hard for some,” she said with empathy. “Your body is reluctant to let go,” she explained. She tapped my back and my hips and made some suggestions. “Just breathe in and relax here,” she suggested. I thought, “I AM relaxing!! My body just won’t listen!” I realized in that instant that I was the ADHD person in the room…there truly is no existing Yin to my Yang. I struggled through the next three poses and when the class was finally over, I quickly gathered my Yoga accessories and headed for the door. The teacher stopped me, she was so kind and looked at me so sweetly. “Those that struggle the most with this class,” she said, “need it the most.”  I’ve been chewing on that all week (but that’s for another post). 

I am so plagued by thoughts of my inability to sit still and/or to relax. I Googled again. Evidently, Yin and Yang are supposed to go hand-in-hand as contrary forces that are interconnected and balance each other. I’m out of balance. I have to go back. I will go back.  After all, I have to (somehow) find the Yin to my Yang.  Stay tuned.

Check it out: 
For information on The Pink Lotus Yoga Center     
For more Yoga humor:

No comments: