Monday, August 4, 2014

Happy Anniversary, to me!

Happy #18...Today would've been, maybe should've been, my eighteenth anniversary.  My ex called to wish me a happy anniversary.  "What would it be, Kar? Sixteen years today?"  Come on now, our surprise daughter is 17.  Seriously?  No, not sixteen.  Eighteen years.  We married eighteen years ago. The man rarely remembered, even more rarely recognized, our anniversary for the 13+ years we were married. Yet, he finds a way to remind me every year since when the date rolls around.  Damn thing about dates...they always roll back around.  Is it because it's the one failure of mine that he has proof of?  Oh, who knows.  The irony is just so typical "us", though.  I hadn't remembered the anniversary until he called.  That's a step for me.  In the previous years, I've remembered it days before and shed tears for it on the day of.  As my BFF pointed out, it's the little things that let us know we are healing.  Rarely the big. Not remembering was a little thing. Healing is a big step. Look at me, I've got my big girl shoes on and I'm taking big steps. <curtsy>

No comments: